Cupboard - noun - Any small closet or cabinet

Cupboard - noun - Any small closet or cabinet

As a guitarist I seem to spend an inordinate amount of time rehearsing,
practicing and tutoring in small spaces. During these times my mind often wanders..
this blog is about those times.

Wednesday 25 May 2011

Young at Heart

Young: not the act of being a certain age, but Young the place. If you want cherries you go to Young, it's a fair drive, about 8 hours from Sydney in fact. If you want just about anything else, don't go to Young. But here I was, in Young, and I don't even really like cherries.

In their infinite wisdom one of the band agencies I was working for decided that Young needed to be entertained by a very average covers band I was playing with at the time. So we packed the commodore & hit the road, arriving the Saturday afternoon of the gig ready to show Young what real music from the big smoke sounds like. After loading in from the ute filled carpark, we kicked in to our first set of covers, needless to say, our version of the Kylie & Robbie Williams hit, "Doin it for the Kids" didn't go down too well with the boot scootin' crew.

At some stage thoughout the night boredom struck, if my memory serves me correctly it was midway through "Mustang Sally". I thought that a sure cure for this boredom would be to run out on the dance floor and take my next solo with the guitar slung behind my head..So off I went, out on the dance floor, slung my guitar behind my head and shredded out a rockin solo..

While I was soloing I couldn't help but notice the lead vocalist looking at me with a cross between worry and laughter, this puzzled me a little, but I figured that my amazing solo just had her entranced. It wasn't until I brought my guitar back to it's normal position that I noticed a lady rubbing her very sore forehead.

It seems that as I lifted my guitar up to play behind my head, I had failed to notice a fairly drunk woman attempting to dance next to me. As I lifted my guitar up above my head I whacked her "smack!" straight in the noggin with the headstock of my guitar. Throughout my whole solo the band were in fits of laughter watching this woman stagger around wondering what had hit her in the head. I'm not sure how I didn't see her, although looking back now I remember that she was fairly short, with short hair and a holden racing team shirt on; for the town of Young this constitutes camouflage. Needless to say I beat a hasty retreat back to the safety of the stage and hid behind the drummer for the remainder of the night...

No comments:

Post a Comment